Friday, May 24, 2013

Teutonian Dough Boy WIP6


Going to be modeling the Dough Boy, a Teutonian basic infantry robot that can transform to higher tier units when need be. Definitely looking for critques. I know there's a lot to learn.
Objective: Model and Texture a current-gen RTS Unit, the Dough Boy, for the game "The Maestros"

Planned Workflow
Concept > High Poly Sculpt (Maya, 3DSMax?, ZBrush) > Retopologize > UV (ZBrush UVMaster, Maya) > Texture

Specific Rules I need to hit:

  • Final texturing needs to emulate the Van Gogh mark making style. (This piece is contributing overall to a game project I'm Art Directing on)
  • Make better materials. Metal needs to look like metal. Leather like leather, etc. T that effect, I need to spend more time on the Specular Map and actually make a Glow Map (I think that's what it's called?)
  • Learn better high-poly modeling techniques. Hard surface high poly mdoeling and Sub D modeling still eludes me. People say to use 3DSmax over my more familiar Maya, but it's really hard to find a good Maya tutorial series on completing a fairly complex hard surface model. Kinda tempted to actually give 3Dmotive money at this point. There's a LOT of free tuts on 3DSmax high poly modeling, though. Perhaps I should just take the time to learn the software.
  • Understand what is valuable and what isn't. I'm new to modeling robot characters, but from looking at references from League of Legends or Team Fortress 2, there seems to be a lot of things I can forgo, like accurate joints, to speed up and keep my efficiency high for the model.



No comments:

Post a Comment